Friday, September 13, 2013

Fit Friday

Today I tried a new skill in Crossfit: kipping hand stand push-ups. I'll be honest, it was terrifying at first, but once I tried it I LOVED it!


This video is 5min long {sorry!} but explains kipping hand stand push-up nicely.

Performing the kip instead of strict hand stand push-ups is comparable to the kipping pull-up instead of strict pull-ups: for a WOD you will be able to get more repetitions in because it's easier than strict.

But go ahead and try strict hand stand push-ups, too! Just find a clear wall in your house, put a few pillows down for your head and go at it :) I usually put two abdominal mats down for my head and then I go up into a hand stand with my hands on either side of the mat and slightly in front of the mats.

Some pointers for the kip:
-keep your legs straight
-keep your bottom against the wall
-keep your abdomen tight
-press your tongue against the roof of your mouth to ensure your neck is tight and stable
-bring your knees to your chest and then use your hips to spring your legs up while your push-up with your hands

Here is my wall!


Now if you feel so inclined, here is a WOD I made up using this new skill:)

WOD:

15min AMRAP {As Many Repetitions As Possible}

3 hand stand push-ups {strict or kipping}
7 sit ups
10 air squats

{Cheering on teammates last week!}

P.S. it helps to chalk up your hands.
P.P.S please be careful!

No comments:

Post a Comment