Friday, July 12, 2013

Fit Friday

I hope you enjoyed Cecilia Wong's guest post by me this past Monday! If you haven't read it, you can check it out here

I have been a little MIA this week because one of my younger brothers flew ALL the way from Arizona to visit :) 

{Chalking up my hands during a workout.}

My brother and I went to Crossfit the other day and we did a WOD {Workout Of the Day} which included deadlifts. I love the deadlift. I do not have a lot of strength in my lower back and now that I am starting to get older {emphasis on starting} this lift is helpful in strengthening those back muscles to help prevent future injuries {plus it gives you a great looking back}. This functional movement also works on your legs and gluteus muscles. 

Here is quick video teaching the deadlift.


I love how coach John Benz focuses on the posture before the lift. No matter how many times you have done a lift, it's always important to focus on your posture in order to have efficiency and to prevent injury. So, head neutral, chest up, shoulders back, abdomen tight, bar close to legs, switch grip {one hand facing up and the other down}, follow the bar up the shins and thighs, and finish with your hips forward/open. Never pull with your arms. Use your legs and tighten that stomach in order to not hurt your back.
It might also be helpful to review squats from last friday's 'Fit Friday' post. 

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment