Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Stuffed Squash Blossoms

I love the summer time! Especially when the farmer's markets open up. It's a great way to get fresh, organic produce for a fraction of the cost.

Last week I went to a farmer's market with my husband. As I was browsing the produce I saw baskets full of squash blossoms, so I had to ask the guy selling them what on earth they are used for? I found out that many people pan fry the blossoms or, even better, stuff them and fry! As we were checking out, the very nice man gave me a bag full of squash blossoms to try :) {thank you!}

So, when we got home, although hot and humid, I turned on my stove and went to work.


This is how I made the squash blossoms:

First, I made some bacon, let cool, and then broke them into pieces.
Then I shredded some cheese {I used parmesan, but next time I will choose another cheese. I felt the parmesan was too overpowering}.
Next, I carefully opened the blossom petals and stuffed with bacon bits and shredded parmesan cheese.
Then I mixed up a couple of eggs and dipped the blossoms in the egg mixture.
With a little bit of olive oil heated in a pan over medium-low heat, I placed the stuffed squash blossoms in the pan and cooked until golden brown like an omelet and then flipped to cook the other side.

It was different, new, but good!