Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Stuffed Squash Blossoms

I love the summer time! Especially when the farmer's markets open up. It's a great way to get fresh, organic produce for a fraction of the cost.

Last week I went to a farmer's market with my husband. As I was browsing the produce I saw baskets full of squash blossoms, so I had to ask the guy selling them what on earth they are used for? I found out that many people pan fry the blossoms or, even better, stuff them and fry! As we were checking out, the very nice man gave me a bag full of squash blossoms to try :) {thank you!}

So, when we got home, although hot and humid, I turned on my stove and went to work.


This is how I made the squash blossoms:

First, I made some bacon, let cool, and then broke them into pieces.
Then I shredded some cheese {I used parmesan, but next time I will choose another cheese. I felt the parmesan was too overpowering}.
Next, I carefully opened the blossom petals and stuffed with bacon bits and shredded parmesan cheese.
Then I mixed up a couple of eggs and dipped the blossoms in the egg mixture.
With a little bit of olive oil heated in a pan over medium-low heat, I placed the stuffed squash blossoms in the pan and cooked until golden brown like an omelet and then flipped to cook the other side.

It was different, new, but good!

No comments:

Post a Comment