Sunday, November 8, 2015

A repost on MILK

During every first week of the challenge I have participants ask me about milk/dairy: Is it primal? Why or why not? What dairy can I have? Below is a repost of my answer from a couple of years ago. Also, the last thing I would add to this post is that dairy produces spikes of insulin in our blood, so if you want to lose weight, stay away from dairy...


During my first challenge a few people asked me about dairy in the primal lifestyle. How good is it for you? How much to eat? Here was my answer: limit your dairy, however, some high-fat, unpasteurized dairy is beneficial in moderation and if you are not lactose intolerant. Commercial dairy that is pasteurized and homogenized is rid of harmful bacteria, but also rid of healthy bacteria, enzymes and nutrients we need. The other downside is the amount of antibiotics, pesticides, EGF (epidural growth factor that is believed to increase cancer risk), casein (stimulates some auto-immune properties) and hormones that are found in dairy. It is also believed that dairy can worsen acne which, in my case, I believe was true. Unpasteurized, raw and fermented dairy has probiotics for a healthy immune system due to minimal processing, low levels of casein, and allows people to avoid allergic reactions with lactose. So, stick with either no dairy, raw fermented dairy, raw high-fat dairy, raw milk/cheese, or organic hormone/antibiotic free dairy. This is the best order according to Scott Kustes, friend of Mark Sisson, mentioned in 'The Primal Blueprint'! Lastly, we want to get the majority of our fats from animal fats which is what our body wants/needs, so do not solely rely on dairy for high-fat consumption. Again, no dairy or dairy in moderation:)

No comments:

Post a Comment